Tuesday, September 27, 2011

fall for art

this past weekend was a whirlwind. my husband, an art professor in dallas, has spent months organizing the annual conference for tasa (texas association of schools of art.) the conference was this past weekend, and was full of art, community and inspiration... in short, it was a huge success. on saturday, it was also fort worth's annual, "a day in the district" where they open 9 cultural destinations of forth worth's art district free to the public. in addition to the gorgeous museum of science and history, it included the three biggies: the amon carter, the kimbell , and the world class modern art museum of fort worth.

i'm sure you can just imagine how crowed all these places were. but it's truly the kind of crowds that you don't mind, and positively inspirational to see all the people, many of whom would never have been exposed to art otherwise. the modern is just one of my favorite places on earth to be, so i found the challenge of getting a few pictures (without other people in them) quite entertaining. it's all about patience, my people!







and, i could not leave without a picture of my favorite piece in the whole place, "aschenblume" by anslem kiefer. this one was the hardest to get, by the way :)



if you missed saturday in fort worth, don't worry because the fall art events in north texas are just beginning. the dallas arts district has art in october just around the corner- full of exhibitions, performances, and other events. this kicks of this saturday, october 1st, and among many great events, includes free admission to the dallas museum of art, and another one of my favorite places on earth, the nasher sculpture center. for those of you with kids, i can't recommend the nasher enough. not only will you get great art exposure and beautiful photographs, but there will be great art activities for your kids sponsored by target. and did i mention it's free?! well, yes, it is...this saturday!

i'll see you there!

julia

3 comments:

  1. wow, what great photographs! I sure wish I could see them in person but you've done an amazing job - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking me along. I love the powerful work that Anselm Kiefer creates and I have seen Martin Puryear's 'Ladder for Booker T. Washington' before myself -- it is extraordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the kiefer work. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Have a comment or question? Hit me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...