Tuesday, September 20, 2011

you gotta start somewhere

it's been over a year since my last post. in that time i have done a lot of soul searching about the direction i want to take this business. i have read books, taken business classes, and painted. i have followed other art blogs (thank God for google reader!) and learned and laughed, and painted. i have researched and planned and inquired and dreamed, and painted. and then, in the spring, i lost my dad suddenly. which inevitably sent me spiraling further into, "where the heck am i going with this?'

well, my friends, i'm not sure i have an answer for that yet. but, i am here to tell you i am back. back to share glimpses into the life of a working artist and mother. back to offer art projects and ideas. back to answer art questions if you've got them. back, i hope, to inspire, or, at the very least, amuse. i don't have it all figured out, but, hey, you gotta start somewhere.

this is the painting i was just finishing when my father died suddenly. i don't usually paint with this simplistic of imagery, but it was sort of an experiment for me so i wanted to keep it simple and uncluttered. the text is from the poem, "life" by charlotte bronte. it's about how hope can pull us through those dark times in life and how important it is to enjoy things now because, before you know it, time will fly. i was thinking of my little boys when i started it, because they were 5 and 3 and i just couldn't believe they weren't babies anymore. i'm sure you can imagine the meaning for me now having lost my dad.



you can see this painting and more by clicking here. in the meantime, enjoy them as they fly!

julia

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy to see you blogging again. One day at a time;D

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this painting! And welcome back to the blogiverse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are back. Like you said, you gotta start somewhere. Just this time you have us to hang out with in the nest. When you start something you feel the movement...you feel the movement of time, space and energy. You are painting, creating and writing you are not in "park" anymore. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the encouragement my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - what beautiful memories for you. This is a very special painting. I was on an airboat and snapped a picture of a pelican with it's wings open - which turned out to be a very nice picture - at almost - and maybe - the exact moment my sister died. When I saw the picture, I had to believe that is was a spiritual experience.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Have a comment or question? Hit me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...