Tuesday, January 17, 2012

iartist

so one of my new obsessions for a while has been with all the photography and art apps that are available now.  i've never been interested in doing photography myself, especially back when you had to wind film and develop it.  or carry a lot of large, heavy cameras and equipment around.  but since getting my iphone, and now my beloved ipad, i've been exposed to a world of instant photography that i just can't resist. 

my friend, dave, from the photography blog clearer reflections, is hosting a project this week called "dave's app recipe book."  the challenge is to create at least one picture using apps in either your phone or ipad, and then post it with the exact "recipe" that you used to create it.  now that last part is where i usually run into trouble.  i'm good at experimenting...taking pictures in and out of apps using different filters, but remembering what i used in the end???  not so good.  but since this project called for that, i made sure to keep notes on what i was doing.

the first one is a self portrait.  i am a figurative artist, and one thing i have always done a lot of are self portraits.  this one came about because , for one, i can not just sit and do nothing, and two, now i can not resist experimenting with different apps.  my husband was driving, so i took a picture of myself in the rearview mirror above my seat.  the title is "rearview."


so the recipe?  i took the picture in camera+ , used the filter under the scenes called "portrait,"  and then saved it.  then i opened it in  snapseed and applied the filter called "vintage."  at that point i wanted to crop it in some more, so i saved it again and took it back into camera+ and cropped it down using the "freeform" one.  then i took it back into snapseed and applied the "drama" filter.  last, i took it into scratchcam and used the "random" button until i found one that i liked. *you can take pictures in and out of as many different apps as you like, just make sure you save the file in between apps!


for this next one, i used a painting i had done a few years ago.  I do not have this painting anymore as it is in someone else's collection now, so i had to use my digital picture of the painting.  here's the original painting.  the title is "king" and it is acrylic on 12 x 24 inch canvas.



and here's the manipulated image.


i pulled the picture up in photoshop and then took a picture of it in camera+.  then i used the filter under scenes called "auto."  then using "freeform" again i cropped out all the excess background and computer monitor.  then i saved the file.  next i opened it in wordfoto.  i tried out the different preset styles, and finally settled on "classic gray."  then i went into "words" and chose "add new word set."  i put in the words, " savior, redeemer, messiah, lord, jesus."  and wordfoto did the rest.  so easy!

i don't want this post to get too long, so i'll continue next week with part 2.  i'll tell you my top 5 or so must have apps, and show you some more pics i've created. 

remember my word for 2012?  inspired.  i'm inspired by what i've learned from clearer reflections, and i hope you'll be inspired to try it too!

-julia

14 comments:

  1. Wow, Julie!!! That's so awesome! Love it. I'm not particularly technically inclined and don't think I really like "doing art" on a computer, but I love what you have done so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori! This could never replace painting and drawing for me, but I have to admit is fun (and a little addicting.) I rarely take plain photos anymore.

      Delete
  2. This is such a great image...very powerful!! Don't you just love these apps!! Thanks for participating this month...hopefully you'll be a regular participant!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Dave! And look, I finally figured out how to reply to comments! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. iPhoneography IS addictive! Great post and great images :) See you next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, Holly. Love your blog and your website!

      Delete
  5. Just amazing what an app can do. Great work! I'm still trying to figure out how to afford an iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Bill! And thanks for visiting. My recent ipad acquisition was a gift from my stepmother. So grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both of these are really wonderful. I really love the fact that you focused on figurative work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How awesome are these! Love the self portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, Roberta! So fun to experiment with new things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning work! I had forgotten how much I do like camera+ even though it's what I use to take photos with; the features/scenes are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your selfie & gonna check out wordfoto, thanks for the tips

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog. Have a comment or question? Hit me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...